I’ve got a few albums for you I bought this year, that are so good you should buy them too. So what do we have here? How about some hard-stepping drum’n’bass? Oh but that’s not all. It also has some, wait for it… dubstep influences! Or drumfunk, or whatever they call it these days.
Anyway, Peer to Peer Pressure by the duchies Eye-D and DJ Hidden is full of tunes with hard beats switching between tempo’s and genres making it one of the most original drum’n’bass/dark-electronic music albums I’ve heard in a while. When it comes to dnb they are certainly pushing the genre another notch up.
Not hectic enough for you that drum’n’bass stuff? How about turning up the tempo a notch or two, cut the breaks up into nice tiny slices and then stick them back together in a different order and use some non 4/4 patterns? Sounds good enough? Well, then you should check out the Frenchy called Ruby My Dear with his excellent Ginkgo album. Think bastard child of Venetian Snares and Mr. Oizo after a champagne orgy in the Moulin Rouge(*). If that doesn’t make sense (and it shouldn’t) you’ll just have to check out what it sounds like to find out.
This lad has released some equally sweet beats for free under the name of Doc Colibri btw.
(*) He’s French remember?
“What’s up with all the fast shit?” I hear you complain? Alright, here’s some good ear-dope to unwind after getting all souped up on the breakcore stylee. The first track I ever heard featuring Hecq was Spheres of Fury and it just blew me away. When I checked out his latest and debut album avenger, it did the very same thing. Calling this album dubstep would be insulting if you think of the typical wobbly bass-line stuff that gets pushed out by the ton these days. But this is a kick-ass album with tracks full of bass, growling and moaning synths, intricating chopped and stuttering beats which sounds quite dubsteppy at times. There, I’ve said it. But it’s a solid electronic piece of music here to stay.
Photo by hep, cc-licensed.
Time to share some links to awesome and free musical resources to charge those iPods and mp3 players with. Here’s what landed in my inbox recently or flew across my twitter stream.
- Cogent is celebrating the first birthday of his Slugplates dubstep label with the release of a free EP. The release contains 2 free tracks of which Karki Kid is definitely my favourite. If you’re digging this, check out this earlier dubstep set as well.
- Do you know Hexstatic? I saw this guy once at the Belgian Beach Rock festival on a Ninja Tune night and he blew my socks off. His tunes could be described as breakbeat electro with a good dose of humour mixed in. The live shows are very much about the combination of their beats and visual. Their latest Scan Me EP is freely downloadable so go and check them out to get a taste of those beats.
- Enough of the slow stuff? Well The DJ Producer has some more speedy beats for you at Soundcloud. If you’re feeling like blasting some of those industrial hardcore techno kicks through your speakers or earplugs, I recommend his DJ set from the Glade Festival. If you still wan the slow stuff however, he also has a retro electro set up for download. Not something you’d expect from this lad I’d say.
Photo by suizilla, cc-licensed.
More music! That’s right! And it’s the kind that most of you seem to like. Well maybe. I’m talking about The Otherside Radio, an actual radio show broadcasted over a good old F and M frequency in the United Kingdom.
“Hey, but you’re not from the UK” I hear you ponder. Well that’s right again! In fact, thanks to the wonders of technology known as The Internet and Twitter and HTML and stuff, everyone else in the world that can’t tune in to 106.6 FM can download the mp3’s of the broadcast instead. How sweet is that? Very, I know.
The show is hosted by the lovely Lisa Righteye (I’m making assumptions here, but she appears lovely anyway) with an excellent taste in music. She thus spends large portions of her wage buying the latest, freshest and most excellent tunes to play on her show for our enjoyment (I told you she was lovely). Her selections range from ever so hip dubstep over to other great electronic music genres like IDM, drum’n’bass, jungle or whatever she ends up finding awesome. If you like a tad of variation in your mixes, you’ve come to the right place.
So if you feel like discovering some great new tunes and artists, check out the online archives for a few hours of great music pressed into mp3’s.
Photo by Nite_Owl, cc-licensed.
Evol Intent has a free new mix tape up at Soundcloud. Since Soundcloud only allows a limited number of downloads for a single file, you better be quick if you want this one.
If you like the harder and darker drum’n’bass tracks mixed up with some filthy dubstep influences, this is one you shouldn’t miss.
01. Document One – Forgive Me (Heist Remix)
02. Heavy Hittahz – You Want Style
03. Pendulum – Witchcraft (Drumstep Edit)
04. Terravita – Up In The Club
05. Drumsound & Bassline Smith – Vigilante
06. Harvest – Spies
07. Heist – Medieval
08. Mindscape – Bounce
09. Mind Vortex – Onslaught
10. Zardonic & Davip – Biohazard
11. Davip & Encode – Vamanos
12. Pendulum – Ransom
13. Evol Intent & Ewun vs Tech Itch vs Kemal vs Binary Finary – Binary Calling
14. Davip – UFA
15. Spirit – Siren (Hive Remix)
16. Heist – Nightshift
17. Buscemi – Seaside (KG Remix)
18. Eddie K & Minus – Serial Killa (D Minds Remix)
19. DisasZt & kos – Move
20. Camo & Krooked – Cliffhanger
21. Evol Intent feat. Ewun – 8 Bit Bitch (Spor Remix)
22. The Unik – Power
23. Youngman – Give You The World
24. Gangsta Fun – U Aint Shit
25. Total Science – Squash (S.P.Y. Remix)
26. Ram Trilogy – Gridlock (Break Remix)
27. S.P.Y. – Slum Dub
28. Gridlok & The Upbeats – The Jitters
29. Origin Unknown – Lunar Bass (Commix Remix)
30. John B – Up All Night
31. The Prototypes – Outcast
32. Evol Intent feat. Ewun & Vicious Circle – Odd Number
33. Dan Le Sac. vs Scoobius Pip – Sick Tonight (Doctor P Remix)
34. Cypher Linguistics – Death, Lies & Videotape
35. Doctor P – Sweetshop (Camo & Krooked Remix)
36. Heist – I Need Killers
37. Ewun – Screw Up (The Upbeats Remix)
38. The Upbeats – Unearthly
39. Masai – One
40. Pendulum – Vault
41. Treo & Semantics – Cash Money
42. Evol Intent – Cruise Control
43. Basher feat. Xtrah – Xerox
44. Evol Intent – Scavenger
45. Commix – Double Double
46. Evol Intent – Panic
47. Lost Sequence – Codeshaper – Spice Market (Nymfo Remix)
48. Basher – Transmission
49. Noisia & Hybris – Crystalline
50. Basher – Androids
51. Noisia – Displaced
52. California Swag District – Teach Me How To Dougie (Terravita Remix)
53. Bill Posters – Hold On (Crissy Criss Remix)
54. Kill The Noise – Talk To Me
55. Ajapai – Get Down
56. Evol Intent – Paradize City (Vocal Mix)
57. 16 Bit – Skullcrack
Recently I got a request in one of the older posts containing a broken link to an awesome dubstep mix, asking if I could re-upload the mp3 somewhere. I checked some other older posts and noticed some of them are still getting frequent hits, but the links stopped working a long time ago. So I decided to put that gig of Google Docs space to some good use and re-upload some of those popular mixes which I still have around on my hard drive.
So far, the following posts have had their links replenished:
So if you’re hitting a post here containing some breakcore, dubstep, jungle, drum’n’bass, IDM or whatever with a link that appears to be broken, post a comment and I’ll see what I can do!
Quickly dropping this mix in here since I’ve been enjoying it during the week while coding away at work. It’s filled with slow dubstep-ish tunes with an IDM twist full of Ad Noiseam tunes. Check it out, you’ll like it.
01 Subheim – Intro
02 Subheim – Take Me Back (EO3, Tympanik Audio 2008)
03 Subheim – Dunes – (No Land Called Home, Ad Noiseam 2010)
04 Subheim – Untitled – (Unreleased)
05 The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble – Lead Squid (Here Be Dragons, Ad Noiseam)
06 Bersarin Quartett – Mehr Als Alles Andere (Bersarin Quartett, Lidar 2010)
07 Subheim – Between Fear and Love (No Land Called Home, Ad Noiseam 2010)
08 Max Richter – Infra 7 (Infra, Fat Cat 2010)
09 Ben Lukas Boysen – Deadweight (Unreleased)
10 Subheim – Streets (No Land Called Home, Ad Noiseam 2010)
11 Subheim – Dusk (No Land Called Home, Ad Noiseam 2010)
12 Subheim – December (No Land Called Home, Ad Noiseam 2010)
13 Subheim – Hush (Approach, Tympanik Audio 2008)
14 Eraldo Bernocchi & Blackfilm – Mistakes Pt.2 (Along The Corridors, Vital 2009)
15 SE – Mimikry (Subheim remix) (L36, Tympanik Audio 2010)
16 Access to Arasaka – Sys.argv(1_) (void(), Tympanik Audio 2010)
17 Subheim – The Cold-Hearted Sea (No Land Called Home, Ad Noiseam 2010)
18 Mobthrow – Desert City Rising – (Unreleased, Ad Noiseam 2010)